Friday, November 4, 2011

Doctor Visit #6

Today I had my next appointment. Everything is looking good. I gained 5 pounds this month, whoops, a pound more than ideal. John's heart rate is at 154 beats and I measured at 26 centimeters. Remember when I said that it's supposed to be 1 cm per week? Well, that means I should be at 23 cm +/-2 cm. So apparently our little Johnny isn't so little. I asked the doctor what that meant and she just said it meant he was growing well :) My mom and Maggie came to the appointment so they could hear the heartbeat. The doctor was having some problems getting a good reading because he was moving around so much :)

I have to go next week for my glucose test. What happens is I fast for 3 hours, then go get my blood drawn. Then they make me drink some nasty sugary drink and wait an hour, then draw my blood again. If my sugar level is good after that, then I'm all good. If it's high, I could have gestational diabetes, so then I have to go for a three hour test to know one way or another for sure.

You may not know this about me, but I can sometimes freak out about things that otherwise sane people may take in stride (if you've ever seen me when there is the threat of a tornado, you know what I'm talking about). Anyway, my ever present tummy ache fulfills many of the symptoms of preterm labor. Yesterday I was totally convinced that I was going into labor. Well, shocking, I wasn't. I just had a stomach ache all day. Just to be sure, I asked my doctor today how to tell the difference between a stomach ache and labor. She explained much clearer what preterm labor would feel like, way clearer than the books, whose job I think it is to scare the crap out of you. Now I know and this will save me plenty of moments (or hours) of panic.

And here is the belly at 23 weeks 2 days:

No comments:

Post a Comment